Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Wednesday's Winning Words

It was an unusually quiet trip to daycare this morning, and as we took the exit off the highway on to University Drive, it occurred to me just how quiet it was.  I looked back, and Delaney was just gazing at her brother and he had finished his cereal and was passing the bag back to me for his switch to fruit snacks--our morning ritual.  We hadn't spoken in at least 8-10 minutes, which is unheard of at any time Justus may be awake.  Maybe that's why I hadn't spoken either, I was just enjoying being with them in silence.  Anyway, out of nowhere, he says "Mommy...I love you." 

Melt. my. heart.

Then he continues (because, he's like me and can't help himself), "...and I will listen to you, and follow your directions, and not use my sassy mouth, and not stick my finger in my mouth or nose, and not do what you tell me not to do, and...." and off he went with all the "rules" we have to talk about on a regular basis.

It was important to me that he recounted many of the things I swear he never hears because he doesn't do them; but by far, the most special part of that car ride, and probably my day and week, was that he just said he loved me.  Unsolicited.  Just because he does and he felt like saying it.

May he never, ever be too embarassed or unwilling to share his feelings and emotions with his mom!

1 comment: