Thursday, January 26, 2012

Wednesday's Winning Words

So, I pretty much suck as a mom from time to time.  Don't we all?  Please?  Tell me we do.  As you know, last week was the Big 5 in our house.  On Wednesday, I took Justus for his 5-year well check.  Since his first year of illness (typical with those attending day care, as ours do), this kid is hardly ever sick.  Thank you, God, for that!  So, it's been a long time since he's seen Dr. Henderson, but he has no ill feelings of his time at the doc's offfice.  He did keep asking me if he was going to have to get shots.  I told him, repeatedly, that no, shots are not part of the 5-year check.  Smiles all around.  And then, we were there.  Doctor H. did all the required checks and questions, and then this happened:

Doctor H:  "A flu shot today?"
Me: "Oh, yes, I'm so glad you asked." Shock and awe on J's face.
Me, turning to my horrified child: "Justus, remember how I told you you didn't have to get a shot today?  Well, I was wrong.  But it's okay, because it's just a flu shot and they keep us from getting sick later.  It'll be really fast and then all done and you won't get sick with the flu."
Justus:  "Ok, mommy."  He said, putting on a brave face.

He cried for just a second, and with a sticker and sucker, all was well.  Or so we thought.

That night he complained of a sore arm, and being cold (teeth chattering kind of cold/chills).  24 hours after the shot, he had 102 temp, was still having the chills and wouldn't eat (this last issue was the indicator to daycare that something was amiss).  This persisted into Friday morning.  Flu symtoms.  Awesome.  Feeling like the worst mother in the world.  Then the fear of the Saturday birthday party set in.  What if I have to cancel?  Seriously--he's already harboring the scar of me "lying" to him about the shot, can I really take away his Star Wars birthday party that he's super excited about?  Stab me in the eye.  My parenting nightmare is playing out before my very eyes.  Everything is ordered and payed for?  I don't know how to contact half of the attendees if we do have to cancel Saturday morning?  Help!!!!

As you know if you read previous posts, we had a party because (THANK GOD) his fever disappeared late Friday morning.  For a day or so though, I thought we were about to have a defining moment that would not be forgotten.  Hopefully, it will not be forgotten, but because he had an awesome birthday party, and the shot/illness days will disappear from memory with time.  I can hope, right?

Note to self:  Think before you make promises like "no shots"  Also, don't do the flu shot (to which he has never previously had a reaction) right before an important event.  Like a birthday party.  Uugh--still kicking myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment