Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Dear Politicians: An Open Letter

Dear Politicians,

I know you have a pretty big day today, and you probably aren't reading my tiny little family-driven blog anyway.  But, on this election day, I felt the need to reach out to you (and a side note--if you read more tiny little family-driven blogs, you may have a better understanding of what the American people really want and need).   I just want to say good luck to all of you.  Not just today, but every day from now on.  Whether you win or lose today--because really, even if you lose, you probably aren't leaving the politics limelight-- you have a responsibility to the American citizens.  See, you've chosen to put your name in the hat to run our country, state, city, county, or whatever governmental subset you can think of.  In my mind, that means you think you are qualified.  Here's the thing about me--I really don't like politics.  I have temporarily cut off many Facebook friends because I don't care to read their commentary, I delete political messages on my phone, I toss out most paid political advertising without even looking at it...  Don't get me wrong--I could not be more grateful to live in a country where we are afforded the opportunity to vote our conscience and have a hand in picking our governmental leaders.  Yet, I get completely beat down by the whole campaigning process (which seems to be lengthier with each passing election) because everyone is talking out of both sides of their mouth.  Something with our system is broken, and I'm begging you to fix it.  I admit that I don't follow all the debates and listen to all the speeches.  I don't because it has become overwhelming to the average consumer.  What good does it do to listen to the debates, get excited about ideas, and then hear the fact checkers tear both sides apart the very next day?  It is beyond frustrating.  Here is what I know:  social security will probably be in the toilet by the time I'm old enough to collect it, yet I pay into it every month;  there's a health care plan out there that some people think is awesome, and others despise;  the jobless rate either sucks or is awesome depending on who you ask; oh, and we are WAY in debt, yet we had one piece of government holding the other hostage over a deadline to balance the budget.  I find it impossible to believe that either "side" is completely right while the other completely wrong.  I am tired of you fighting for the sake of fighting or the sake of being right.  Why can't you get together and fix our great nation???  It's called "cooperation."  And why do I suddenly feel like I'm talking to small children?

Speaking of small children....I have a couple of them.  That's really my motivation, here.  See, I have two of the most beautiful young children you've ever seen (ok, so maybe I'm a tad biased), but the point is I don't want them to be saddled with the burden of fixing the country that we leave to them in a mess.  I want it handed to them in good condition.  You know the concept--leave things better than you found them.  Frankly, given the rate at which school funding is being cut, they may not be well-educated enough to fix the country.  If I won't be able to collect from social security, what hope of a retirement system is there for them?  We have all of this fantastic technology that our parents and grandparents could not even imagine, yet we are not able to fix some of our most basic general systems of operation.  I want my kids to have the same pride in this country that I was raised to have, and I know the responsibility of instilling that pride lies within our family.  We make every effort to celebrate all the joys and freedoms of American citizenship with our children, and we pray for our "armies that keep us safe" every night, but sometimes you make it very hard to convey  all the great qualities of life as an American.  I took my children with me to vote, both out of necessity and so at least the older one could see the process.  We talked about what I was doing the whole time.  I want them to understand and feel the privilege that I feel in exercising this right.  At five, my son may not get all that, but what he does understand is that there are always winners and losers, and that even if you lose, you must still support the greater goal.  I accept this as a difficult lesson in the life of a kindergarterner, but I expect and, truthfully demand, more from you.  Of course we have different opinions about what is best, and we all think we are right.  But, it would be devastating to think that hateful, self-righteous, and indignant beliefs could be the undoing of all our history of great successes.

I am proud to be an American, and am thankful to all who have gone before that worked tirelessly and cooperatively to make this country what it is.   So, please for the love of this amazing nation, set enough of your partisanship aside to work together to improve the quality of life for Americans.   Regardless of who wins today.

No comments:

Post a Comment