Thursday, July 12, 2012

For the love of genealogy

You know how I'm adopted, right?  Well, between that and the fact that my dad and both of his wives have been only children, I have been fairly...uninterested, shall we say, in genealogy.  As a concept, I find it interesting, but as it applied to me--not so much.  First of all, no matter the genealogy of the families to which I belong (speaking not biologically), it's still not my blood lineage, and I'll never know my blood lineage (nor do I care to, frankly).  Secondly, as a small family unit with no aunts or uncles or first cousins, we haven't spent a lot of time with extended family.  I have never been to a Barger family reunion.  I wouldn't even know where to go were there to be one.  I've never blamed anyone for this, nor been particularly disappointed in this, it just is what it is. 

Having said that, my grandmother (Julie's mom) was VERY into genealogy and was very close with her family.  Her rather large family.  She kept boxes of family tree charts and information.  To say it was a hobby is probably definitely an understatement.  I have always known this and, as a result, got to spend as much time as she could make possible with (or hearing about) the wonderful people in this family.  Despite Julie passing away when I was young, Mimi always made sure I got to spend time with my cousins and knew what all they were up to as often as she could.  It was important to her for me to know them and know their history--my history too because this was my family, as well.  I now realize the magnitude of the effort she made to connect me (in my heart and mind) to this amazing group of people who welcomed my brother and I, just as if we were blood kin.  To her and to them, it made no difference that we were adopted.

The Nelson family reunion is held every other summer.  When I started going to camp, I often had to miss the reunions due to the conflict of timing of the two.  I know this bothered Mimi because it was the only time (aside from weddings and funerals) we had to see just about everyone in the same place at the same time.  When I finally got old enough and could either get away from camp for a day or wasn't at camp anymore, Mimi was no longer able to attend the reunions, due to her health and eventually her passing.  I went anyway because I wanted to know them and I knew it was important to her.  It was overwhelming at first after so many years away to be reintroduced to the names and faces I had known my whole life, mostly through pictures and stories.  Everyone embraced me as though I had never once missed.

This past weekend, we joined together once again for good times!  I really must get better about my picture taking--I either only take pictures of my own children (like I don't have enough of those pics) or I completely forget to pull my camera out at all.  Here are a few snapshots I did manage to get:

Family Water Volleyball game

Tom holding an old Diamond N (family brand) brand that was found on the family place years ago, and passing it on to the next generation at the family meeting.

Delaney had a great time getting to know a lot of cousins--
(from top) Al and Sarah, Leta and Rachel, and Caroline
**Please disregard the fact that my children are in a bar on a Saturday night.  It's a family friendly bar.  I swear.**

There was karaoke Saturday night, in honor of James William's birthday!  His sweet fiance, Jenny, played along (all the while wondering what she's getting herself into, I'm sure).

Henri, Julia, and Caroline doing some serious karaoke!

Justus putting a halt to his shuffleboard game to dance and clap for Scott's karaoke performance.  For more Nelson karaoke entertainment, see Sarah's You Tube video.  Awesome.

The long goodbye:  Everyone says goodbye at Sunday morning breakfast, but it takes about an hour or more, just to make your way around the room to say goodbye, and take pictures.

The Boedekers, Starks, and Meltons

Ian, OJ, and Amy
Henri and Julia

Kidd and Al

Wonderful cousins:  Caroline, Ian, Sarah, Melissa, James William, Frank, Julia, Amy, and Rachel. 
UInfortunately, also missing a few who already had left.

Julia and James Nelson in the foreground of the long goodbye.

  Justus and Delaney with cousin, Madeleine. 
  
It is always such a pleasure to get together with this crazy, fun family, whom we admire so much!!  I love that our kids are getting to experience this family time and know their cousins.  I hope that as they grow, their generation of Nelson cousins will enjoy these weekends as much as we do, and that they will take an interest in their heritage because there are some pretty amazing folks that we are lucky enough to call family! 

So, thank you to my Mimi for her persistence in fostering my knowledge of and relationship with some of the best people I know.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment