Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Wednesday's Winning Words: Parental Advisory Warning

Justus got his first "incident report" from Kids Klub (school district after school program) last Friday.  On the one hand, I am shocked and thrilled that it took him until March to obtain said report. On the other, I'm a little floored at the nature of the report.  It lends itself to both an opportunity to share a funny story and ask for input from my parent friends.

So, Friday, the Kids Klub counselor approached me with her duplicate form report and said, "Ms. Royal....we had a little incident today.  Justus said the word penis."  She practically whispered it.  I think my response was displeasing to her because when I simply said "ok," (as if to say, "and?") she said, even more hushed, "and other kids heard him." The horror.  I am certain my response at that point was displeasing because as I *kindly* took the report and signed it and gave her back her yellow copy while retaining my white one, I said "Here's the thing:  We teach actual names of body parts in our family because if someone were to, heaven help them, go all Jerry Sandusky on my kids, I want them to be able to report to the authorities what ACTUAL body part was impermissibly affected without using the cute-sy, less offensive, pet name for said body part.  Why did he say PENIS?  Was he injured there? Was it hurting him?  What would you prefer he call it?  Never mind, I will just teach him that at Kids Klub, he must point to it and call it his private part because that is deemed less offensive.  I'm sorry if other kids heard him, but they do in fact have them and I doubt they've never heard it before."  Visibly uncomfortable with the direction the conversation had taken, she went on to nervously tell me that "It's not a Kids Klub-appropriate word."  Noted.  About that time, Justus walked up, and knowing that he had a playdate scheduled for that night, had a sad look on his face and asked me if he was in trouble.  I told him that no, he was not in trouble for calling a body part exactly what it is!

Now, before you get all worked up about us allowing our child to walk around saying "penis" at his discretion, we did discuss why he said it and that it was probably an unnecessary part of the conversation.  We also talked about the public's general sensitivity to the word and how, although he wasn't in trouble with us for using the word, we would prefer that he only use it when necessary.  Also, we clarified that he would be in trouble if it happened again at Kids Klub or school because now we know it is a rule that he should not say it there.  The trouble would be for not following the rules. 

And for the record, he does not go around just talking about it. 

But, this all raises a question--do you believe that young elementary-age kids (K-2nd) should have alternate names that are "more appropriate" for their "private" body parts or do you teach your kids the real name.  Either way, what is your reason?  Clearly, I have an opinion, but I definitely want to hear different people's perspectives on the issue.

3 comments:

  1. AMEN, sister!! They should learn the appropriate word. Period.

    For a million reasons that include what you so eloquently stated as well as to learn that these areas of our body are sacred,important, and not to be "play things" or fodder for jokes. It's about self-respect and showing them that we want to be part of their conversations in life so that when they are 10, 15 and older they can come to us and know they are going to get real answers - not some sugar coated version of what society things we should say.

    Penis.Penis.Penis.
    Vagina. Vagina. Vagina.

    Whew. I feel better.

    :)

    ps. It's probably better that our kids are in different grades - I don't think teachers could handle the Royal/King parental combo(read: Karen and Katy).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of the many reasons I love you!

      Delete
  2. I am pretty positive you did the right thing here. I can't believe people are so sensitive. Penis has never been more normal of a word since having children.

    ReplyDelete