Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Wednesday's Winning Words

I am without children for a few days, but fortunately I have a two-fer for you in the way of Winning Words.

Monday night, after Taekwondo, we went out to dinner.  As we are sitting there getting everyone everything they needed, Justus blurts out, "Mom....tell me what you want, what you really, really want." a la Spice Girls, circa late 1990s.  After I collected myself from the laughter, I said "I want to know where you heard that."  He said a friend he had played with a Spring Break camp that day had shared it with him.  It was a friend he's had for years (literally, since he was 1), so I texted the mom the next morning so we could share the laugh.  She said her son heard it from a cousin and swore the cousin made it up.  Thankfully for iTunes, she was able to quickly demonstrate that the key phrase was made famous by a great little girl group from the other side of the pond. 

I love when our kids take an interest in music that was meaningful to us at some point in our lives before kids.  We had a similar experience when Justus was VERY into Disney's Cars.  If you have kids, you know that Life is a Highway is the theme song.  I heard the Tom Cochrane gem at summer camp years ago and knew it well.  All of the sudden, here was my son begging me to play it over and over again in the car as he belted it out.  Old memories revisited, all the while making new ones.


Originally, this post was going to stop there.  Then yesterday happened.  Justus was riding to Taekwondo with a friend, so I needed to grab Delaney and get her there to meet them before it was over.  As you can tell, we spend quite a bit of time there.  Twice a week to be exact.  So, Delaney and I pull up to the building, and she immediately starts yelling and pointing "Justus go Hi-ya in there, Hi-ya, Hi-ya..." while simultaneously, throwing front punches and kicking her legs.  She was getting into it!!  Aaahh, my little ninja in the making.  She may be out on that floor before we know it.  Daddy couldn't have been happier---a daughter as a black belt?  Go ahead and try to make a move on her.

No comments:

Post a Comment