Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Wednesday's Winning Words

Justus has been on this "take the easy way" or "settling" kick lately.  I guess ambition and motivation are not always intrinsic (or at least not at age 5), but I realize now, we are going to have to work on how to instill this in him.

After seeing The Lion King, we were talking about the production one day.  I pointed out the kids in the show and how they weren't but a few years older than him.  We were talking about what it must be like to get up on stage in front of all those people, sing and dance, remember lines, etc. I asked him if he thought that would be fun.  He started talking about all the stuff he would say and do, and I pointed out that they have to learn specific things to say and sing, and ways to move. 
He thinks for a second or two, and replies:

"Well, maybe I could just be a zebra." 

I see a long line of tree and rock costumes for school plays in my future.


As one only thinks to do every four years, we have been talking with Justus about the Olympics as we watch them (because we're kind of Olympic junkies).  He's been asking great questions about the teams and why only certain people get to go to the Olympics.  We asked him if he could be the best in the world at any one thing or sport, what it would be.  The answer: Soccer.  Without hesitation.

Fast forward to the next morning:
J: "Mommy, maybe instead of being the best in the world at soccer, I could just be an astronaut."
Me: "Sure, buddy, that sounds like a pretty awesome thing to be too, and it's a very important job."
J: "Do astronauts get to go to the Olympics?"
Me: "Well, no.  There's no astronaut competition."
Silence.  I could see the wheels of reconsideration turning....

Please don't misunderstand me.  No matter what he does, as long as does his very best and he his happy, we will be beyond proud of him.  It's just funny to hear what is or isn't worth the effort in the mind of a 5-year-old.


In other news, we have new words for Ring Around the Rosy:

She did this a million times the other day, when I didn't have my camera, of course.  It took her a few times this morning.  There was this waffle that had to be eaten too.





"....Ashes, Ashes...GET DOWN!"

1 comment:

  1. "Maybe I could just be a zebra." LOL!
    So fun to hear Delaney's voice too. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete