Thursday, September 15, 2011

An addiction problem

Hi....my name is Karen....and I am an addict.  Wow, that was tough for me to say, but it feels good to finally get it off my chest.  You see, I have been spending a lot of time lately on Pinterest.  Not just lately, really, but for some time now.  I just can't seem to stop.  For those of you who are not familiar with Pinterest, I would encourage you to stay away from it because of its addictive nature, but its awesomeness is so overwhelming that I think everyone should experience it.  Fortunately, many people I know (you know who you are) are as obsessed as I am so I don't feel alone.  Thank you for that support.

I swear, I get on there to find one particular thing I pinned, and the next thing I know, I'm pinning other things and following rabbit holes to websites and blogs that I then want to add to my watch list.  It's really ridiculous...and still so very cool.

For those that are unfamiliar, I will give you a quick rundown:  It's just what it sounds like.  You pin your interests.  You create boards, and then you scroll through pictures and you can "repin" them to the applicable boards.  For example, I have boards for each kids, craft stuff, holidays, food, sayings, stuff for the home, etc.  So, I start scrolling through the main page, and I see a picture of some amazing-looking food, click on it, and it takes me straight to the blog/website where the recipe is.  If I like it, I pin it on my food board.  Eventually, I have a nice little collection of recipes.  On that particular topic, I have now made at least 8-10 recipes that I got off of Pinterest, and not one has let me down!  Through this pinning and searching, I have founds ideas for birthday parties, photo ideas, party planning stuff, crafts I would love to do if I was as crafty as I think I could be if I had the time, travel plans.....I could go on and on.  Clearly I have.  I haven't figured out what makes it so enthralling, because really, it's not anything new.  It's just one place to collect all these fantastic ideas that are already out there.  I think it's the pictures.  They get us with the pictures!  You look through a random collection of pictures (or you can always use the search) and seize on one that catches your eyes.  And that experience is different for everyone because what I am interested in, the next person may not care about.  It's all there, and a simple picture draws us in and the next thing I know, I've pinned it on one of my boards.

To complicate matters, there's an app.  So, it goes with me everywhere.  I'm bored waiting at a doctor's office--I pin.  Sit down for a little tv time or get into bed at night--I pin.  Waiting for my turn in a drive thru--I pin.  Meeting starts running a little long and I've lost interest--I pin.
Because there's ALWAYS something new!!!

You really just have to experience it.  I would say it is a worse time vacuum than Facebook, but I feel so productive as I collect all these wonderful ideas...and then use them!  For whatever reason, it is by invitiation only.  So, if I have intrigued you and you want an invitation, let me know and I will hook you up.  Or you can just go to their website, http://www.pinterest.com/, and request an invite and you will have it within 24 hours.  Let the madness begin.  Or, as they say, Happy Pinning!

No comments:

Post a Comment