Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Pumpkin Carving Fool

As you may recall from my cell phone clean out post, I am not a pumpkin carver.  Or at least I wasn't.  Until there was a competition involved.  And a little boy who desperately wanted to carve a pumpkin.  So, over the weekend, we bought ourselves some pumpkins and got after it in the name and spirit of all things Halloween.

Before we got started, Justus got to use his new Mr. Potato head pumpkin decorating kit (thanks Fattig Family)!  He LOVES these things....and we love them too.  Simple. Fun. Clean.



We bought several pumpkins, in anticipation of errors and the need to start over--which never happened.  YAY!  Except now I have two uncarved pumpkins that are just asking to be carved...
So, Justus picked out a bat design that he wanted.  Daddy decapitated the pumpkin and we made Justus clean out the insides.  He was not too keen on this.  But, it's a pumpkin carving must, and if you want a pumpkin carved, you have to clean it.  Look what a good sport he's being!


Then I went to work.  Because, let's be honest, the 5-year-old who desperately wanted to carve a pumpkin does NOT have the patience to actually carve the pumpkin.  He watched some and played some and then appropriately ooohed and aaahed when it was done. He was ecstatic about his, especially once we turned off the lights and he saw it with the light inside.  It went immediately to live on our front porch with our other pumpkin decorations.


Our office is having a carving contest this week and if you wanted to participate, you were to just show up with the pumpkin already carved.  So, here's my entry.  It probably won't win any spectacular prizes, but I was very pleased with myself for doing it because my artistic skill, if I have any, is not in carving, drawing, coloring, sculpting, etc.  I'm more of a music girl.  So, this was a big accomplishment for me!

I'm pretty sure our little experiment made me an annual pumpkin carver!  Looking forward to doing this annually...especially when the kiddos can do their own too.  We may even save the seeds and toast them next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment