Friday, July 5, 2013

Philadelphia

A couple of weeks ago, I went to Philadelphia for a work conference. I have never been before, and admit that when it was time to go, I wasn't terribly excited.  It was one of those situations where it seemed like a good idea at the time I registered for the conference...a few months ago...when I thought my husband was going to go with me and we'd make it a mini vacation...and we weren't closing on our house a week after I got back...and I didn't have out of town hearings scheduled the weeks before and after...you get the idea.  Nonetheless, I really did enjoy this historical city and wanted to share a few pictures with you.

Hands down, the best city hall I've ever seen.  I mean, there is nothing wrong with my local city hall, but if the urban designers here wanted to look to Philly for some inspiration, I'm just saying I wouldn't object.

 One morning while there, I went on a 4-mile running tour with City Running Tours, which was organized through our conference.  It was such a great way to see so many of the "must see" spots.  This was the Ben Franklin Bridge (over the Deleware River) at sunrise. 

Independence Hall
Doesn't it just give you goosebumps??

The Liberty Bell
(after hours, which is why I'm taking pictures from behind a glass wall)

 The Rocky steps...also known as the Philadelphia Museum of Art
 

View of Philly from the top of the steps.
 
Yeah, he even has his own statue.  Right there in the middle of all that American History.
Love the way we prioritize...

The tomb of the unnamed soldier from the American Revolution.

This.  Amen.
 
Even though I am not a huge history buff, I did enjoy the city very much.  I spent some time at a few pubs (where I was in good company while watching the Spurs throw away the NBA Championship, but I'm not bitter) and great restaurants.  I loved the Reading Terminal Market too, but didn't get a good picture of it.  I may or may not have been too busy stuffing my face.  Overwhelming food and market options all under one huge roof.  I think it's the oldest indoor market, in operation since 1893!!
 
I recommend a visit to Philly if you've never been.  The architecture and history are amazing.  It's also a very well laid out city that is easy to navigate.  Even I didn't get too lost!

No comments:

Post a Comment