Tuesday, December 6, 2011

One year of wonderful- Open Letter to Delaney

LOOK WHO'S ONE!!



One year ago, my life and my world dramatically improved.  I have frequently heard people doubting the addition of a child to their family because they didn't know if they could love another one as much as their first.  I always knew we wanted two children so I guess we were just willing to risk it. Clearly, we were, because we went through a lot to get you!  I was thrilled when we found out it would be a girl joining our clan.  But, I had no idea what was in store for my heart.  It had to be filled to capacity the day you were born because the love in my heart for you is every bit as all-consuming as what I feel for your brother.  You are one amazing little girl!  There's no other way to put it.

I have said it to so many people--for some reason the first year with you has been so much faster that Justus' first year.  I guess with him, everything was new.  Sleepless nights, baby sickness, exciting new milestones, etc.  With you, I feel like I blinked and the year disappeared.  I am afraid that you were somehow short-changed in it because although everything was new to you, we feel slightly more experienced in dealing with some things (wouldn't exactly call us pros though).  I admit, your high fevers are definitely new territory, so anytime you want to stop doing that, I would greatly appreciate it.  Mmkay, thanks.  I have loved watching you grow and learn and do things at your own pace, but because you are my "lovey" baby, I am a teensy bit sad about you growing up so fast.  You are definitely my snuggler, and I LOVE it.  At the same time, we are having some full-nite sleeping/self soothing back to sleep/general independence issues as a result, but I will try to not complain so much as I know this is the trade off for all the free lovin' I get from you.  Maybe it is just because you are my last baby, and as you outgrow certain habits or items, they will never again make an appearance in our home.  This draws a mixed bag of cheers and tears.

You had us a little scared when you were born with your little ear. Mostly because we had a few days of uncertainty and we were worried that one little ear may only be a sign of bigger problems.  Well, we also had that really bad audiology tech who gravely lacked professional judgment, but that's no longer of consequence.  Remind us, and one day we'll tell you about ol' Shiloh.  However, you have since been poked, prodded, and tested more than any small child deserves by the very best doctors around, in an effort to rule out any related (or unrelated) issues.  I'm  happy to say, you are as healthy as a horse and really, the little ear is the only issue we have left to deal with.  I have learned more about ears over the last year than I ever thought I would or cared to, for that matter.  But, I hope that our new found knowledge helps us help you.  You hear perfectly well, and quickly mastered rolling onto your good ear to sleep to block out noise.  Smart girl!  You hear, but ignore me at all the right times--yes, I know that's what you are doing.  And you usually turn when someone calls your name....if you aren't too busy doing something else.  We have a lot of doctors' visits in your future, related to your ear (because one day, they are going to build you a brand new one!), but we will take each one as they come and you will do just as great as you have so far.  I don't look forward to the time you first become aware that you have a difference, and I loathe to think what other kids will say to you, but when that time comes, we will find the words and will be your biggest supporters.  Our hope is that you are never defined by your limitations (if there even are any), but that you recognize them and use them to make you stronger. 

You have the most beautiful curly, crazy hair!  The very first thing Dr. Smith said when you were born was "Look at all that hair!"  I will always make sure you have curly hair experts in your life (Aunt Kristin and Aunt Amber) to help you manage it better than I could on my own.  Maybe, as it grows out, it will become more manageable (here's hoping).  I love that you have so much hair.  Even when you were just a month or two old, we had moms of one year olds looking at you with envy because of all your gorgeous dark hair.  It's been a treat, no doubt.

You were petite when you were born, and continue to be so, but you are finally fitting into clothes that are approximately the "right" size for your age.  You are a good eater, so maybe table food has helped with that.  Now, only if more teeth would come in to help you mash up that yummy business.  The two on the bottom do just fine, and your top two are peeking through, but no sign of anything else.  The way you light up at seeing your brother, the laughter he can solicit from you, and the way you lay your head on him warm my heart in a way that nothing else in the world can.  You have a ton of toys, and occasionally, you play with them.  But, at the end of the day, you want nothing more than to be with Mommy, Daddy, and especially Justus.  In just the past couple of weeks, you have really taken a liking to your mink bear and the tiny bottle of Mustela baby wash.  I have no idea why, but you love them!  Well, the mink bear thing, I get.  I'm fairly certain that Justus (or some variation of it) will be your first word.  He loves you just as much and I love watching the most important things in my life all wrapped up in to one moment every time you two play.  It does a Mommy's heart good, so keep it up.  I know the time will come when you fight like cats and dogs, but please, just make this part last a little longer!

Angel, I don't know what else to tell you, other than I love you more than words can describe and I am thankful for you every moment of every day.  I miss you terribly when we are apart, but that sweet smile I get when I see you again lights up my life and has the uncanny ability to make even the worst day turn to a faded memory in no time flat.  As your personality develops, I see a strong little lady in front of me, and I couldn't be more proud.  I am honored to have been chosen to be your Mommy and hope that Daddy and I raise you to be a happy, loving and kind woman of integrity and faith.

Happy 1st Birthday, Delaney Grace.  Thanks for letting us share the journey with you!

Contrary to my normal persona, I wasn't organized enough to get "month-old" pictures in the same place with the same stuffed animal every month.  So, here's a candids recap of the year of Delaney.  Isn't she just precious??  Can't help myself.


newborn
 1 month

 2 months

 3 months

 4 months

 5 months

 6 months

 7 months

 8 months

 9 months

 10 months

 11 months

ONE YEAR OLD!!

2 comments:

  1. OMGosh this made me tear up... probably because I'm facing this milestone in 29 days. How did our babies grow up so fast (and how do we tame their mounds of hair)?! Happy Birthday, Delaney!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Tears* - your best post yet! I love her and all of you.

    ReplyDelete