Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Wednesday's Winning Words

As I mentioned before, part of my reason for doing this is because of the funny conversations that happen in life with small children.  Constantly, Justus will say something that just makes me laugh on the inside for weeks.  I always say "I need to write that down" and then don't.  This past Sunday, I was also reminded of how, again with small children, I find myself saying something that I never in a million years would have ever imagined would come out of my mouth.  Really, the context for it just didn't exist.  As a result, and in tribute to the fairly recent random verbal shenanigans of one, Charlie Sheen, I have decided to create Wednesday's Winning Words (...and again with the whole alliteration thing).  Hopefully each Wednesday, I will be able to recap memorable things Justus has said, or something I found myself wanting to claw back as it came out of my mouth.  Since today is the first, and it's been a busy week, I'll give you a couple little gems to get us going.

On Sunday, we took Justus to the circus in Houston.  On the way there, we stopped at a Buc-ee's because of their wonderfully clean bathrooms.  Justus insisted on carting along his newly acquired Franchesco race car (from Cars 2, for those w/o little ones or affection for all things Pixar).  So, I told him to stick it in his pocket.   Because of his deep pockets, he did not appreciate the amount of room Franchesco had to move around and was worried he might lose him.  He grabbed his pocket to hold him in place, and because of the depth of his pocket, to the average passer-by, it appeared he was holding himself as many small children do when they need to go potty.  I blurted out "Justus, stop holding yourself like that, Franchesco is not going to fall out."  Given that Franchesco was totally hidden from view, and my son appeared to be doing the pee pee dance, I'm pretty sure everyone around us thinks 1) that kid has already named his private body part, 2) his mom knows what it is, and 3) it's Franchesco?

Justus loves Jake and the Neverland Pirates, a cute little show on the Disney Channel.  As the name suggests, it's a cartoon spin off of Peter Pan's Neverland.  Anyhoo, as many a Disney show does, it engages the watcher to repeat phrases, say their name when asked, etc.  In this particular show, Jake always asks the watcher to say the secret words (or something like that) to be part of the crew that day.  The secret phrase, I have learned, is Yo Ho Ho (as in..."it's  pirate's life for me...").  The other day, while watching the show, Justus was fully engaged and when the time came to say the secret phrase, he shouted with all the enthusiasm a 4 year old would have at the prospect of joining a pirate crew, "Yo Yo, Ho!"   I love these moments that clearly demonstrate how society changes our perception of things because he obviously had no concept that had that phrase come out of my mouth in certain company--not nearly as precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment